The David House is a historic dwelling in Snow Shoe that is now the home of a museum to preserve the history of the Mountaintop Area. The white-clapboard house was built on North Front Street in the late 1880s by the Lehigh Valley Coal Co. to provide housing for workers.
The Land-Grant Frescoes in the foyer of Old Main are a Penn State landmark that commemorate the 1862 Morrill Land-Grant College Act and the promise of higher education. Commissioned as a class gift from the Penn State Class of 1932, the fresco on the northern wall of Old Main pays tribute to the university’s land-grant […]
Grilled Stickies are pastries that for many years were a staple of Penn State students and particularly patrons of the former Ye Olde College Diner, a favorite student hangout on College Avenue for decades. Although the diner closed in 2018, stickies continue to be made and sold.
John T. Biggers was a muralist, educator, and Penn State alumnus who dedicated his work to establishing a sense of African American identity and pride through art. His murals, portraying rural Black laborers, can be seen at Penn State in the Burrowes Building and the Paul Robeson Center. Born on April 13, 1924, in Gastonia, […]
The Rowland Theatre in Philipsburg is a historic venue that for more than 100 years has been a popular place for Centre County residents to see films and other events. The downtown theater has closed several times during its history, but was saved by the borough and community volunteers who oversee its operation today. The […]
Class gifts are philanthropic donations given by graduating Penn State classes that have made a significant impact on the university, including some of the most beloved and recognize landmarks. The mission of the annual Class Gift Campaign is to promote a philanthropic spirit among graduating students.
The Centre Furnace Mansion, originally the home of the furnace’s ironmaster, was the meeting place for the founding of the institution that became Penn State. The mansion on East College Avenue is now a historic house museum and the headquarters of the Centre County Historical Society. In 1791, two Revolutionary War veterans, Col. John Patton […]