The Brockerhoff House is one of the architectural landmarks in Bellefonte, exemplifying the prosperity of the borough in the 19th century. The imposing four-story structure, which incorporates the Italianate, Queen Anne, and Second Empire architectural styles, encompasses a full block on Allegheny Street.
The David House is a historic dwelling in Snow Shoe that is now the home of a museum to preserve the history of the Mountaintop Area. The white-clapboard house was built on North Front Street in the late 1880s by the Lehigh Valley Coal Co. to provide housing for workers.
The Mann Axe dynasty was founded in 1828 at Boiling Spring, and grew to include five other large operations in central Pennsylvania. Collectively, the companies were among the largest axe makers in the United States and Mann axes were used worldwide.
The Nittany Lion Inn opened in 1931 to provide first-class accommodations for visitors to Penn State and Centre County. Dubbed “Penn State’s Living Room” by university President Eric Walker, the Georgian-style inn is a sentimental destination for alumni and is a popular venue for univer
Titan Metal Co., founded in 1925, was a leading producer of brass rods and castings. Led by William P. Sieg and his son, the Bellefonte company was a major employer in Centre County for decades and played a significant role in community affairs.
Over-the-air television came to Centre County on September 15, 1949, as WJAC began “telecasting” from Johnstown. Originally assigned to channel 13, WJAC switched in 1955 to channel 6, a more favorable frequency.
The Reynolds Mansion, built in 1885, is one of the best-known Victorian homes in Bellefonte. It is now operated as a bed and breakfast. Located at the corner of Linn and Allegheny streets, the home was built by William Frederick Reynolds. It is an eclectic blend of Gothic, Italianate, and Queen Anne styles.
The All-American Rathskeller was a beloved drinking establishment for generations of patrons, especially Penn State students. The “Skeller,” as it was known, was the longest-operating bar in State College until it closed in 2017.
Duffy’s Tavern is a historic eating and drinking establishment in the village of Boalsburg that is now in its third century. The tavern was built in 1819 on the diamond by Colonel James Johnston, who envisioned a place for lodging and food at the crossroads of the two major stagecoach routes in Harris Township.
Philip Benner was an early business leader in Centre County who established the Rock Ironworks, one of the first iron forges in the county. Benner was born in Chester County in 1762 and served in the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War. After the war, he operated an iron forge in Chester County. He married […]